Wednesday, August 19, 2009

from one camp to another...


Red Castle, Uintah Mountains

For the last few months, Brayden's scout troop has been anticipating a week long high adventure trip. We have a group of experienced outdoors men for leaders and they've been steadily preparing the boys since the spring, having them pack in on three overnighters, take their 30 lb packs on hikes in our local river bottoms, and learn a little of what they'd be in for on a 6-day wilderness trip.

Overnighter to Jones Lake in June

Finally, last Monday, Aug 10, was the long-awaited day of departure and Brayden was geared up and anxious to go! His pack was 47 pounds upon weigh-in and they hiked in 9 miles before reaching their base camp near Red Castle Lake, altitude 10,800 feet.

Throughout the week they worked on merit badges in geology, astronomy, fishing, environmental science, and wilderness survival. They had devotionals every night and did the usual boy stuff, playing cards in the tent, goofing around, keeping eyes & ears out for wildlife...they saw moose, deer, coyote, and an enormous flock of sheep. It sounds like the whole week made a huge impression on Brayden.


Fishing was a HUGE part of the week. They fished at two different lakes while there--Upper Red Castle and Lower Red Castle. The boys have all become great fishermen and Brayden was proud to catch 25 fish. His favorites were a little guppie and another the size of his elbow to fingertips. Of the 50 pictures of fish he took at varying stages of catch to eat, we'll include these:


The thing he has talked most about is an experience they had as they were hiking out the last day. One of his leaders, a wilderness survival expert and rancher, had taken the horses out of camp early and was in the parking area waiting for the rest of the group. While waiting for the troop to catch up, he had a distinct impression to hike back to the trailhead. Strange, he thought, I know the troop won't be there yet, why would I need to go there?, but he followed the impression and returned to the trailhead. When he got there, he was met by a frantic woman who needed help. Her husband had been bucked off his horse and trampled in the chest. This leader was able to unhitch their trailer and take charge of their horses and dogs so she could take her husband to the hospital 3 hours away. The boys had come upon the scene and seen the injured man (big cowboy with chaps, according to Brayden) waiting at a table quietly until his vehicle reached him to pick him up. Brayden talked of how amazing this leader was because he just knew exactly what to do to help and did it without hesitation. The next day in Deacons Quorum, their leader was able to share the end of the story with them. As it turned out, the man had 6 broken ribs and a punctured lung, but was doing fine. He bore testimony to them that he knew it was a prompting specifically for him and how thankful that he was there to listen and obey.


More pics:


They had great weather all week until the last night when it rained and lightening-ed through the night. They woke up to freezing temperatures, broke camp and hiked out in hail and snow.



For us on the homefront, it was a surprisingly (and not surprisingly) a lonely week without him! We quickly realized how much influence he has around here. By Saturday night the whole family was anxious to see him--here was when he got home, a muddy sight for sore eyes:



We are so thankful to solid leaders!! It was a huge success and surely Brayden will remember it for years to come. He loved it.


6 comments:

Melanie said...

I wanna be a scout!

Rachel Sorber said...

Wow. It makes me want to go hiking in the back country!!

Katy said...

Very cool experience for a very cool kid.

Dana said...

wow, I got major chills when I read about the leader getting his prompting. That is a good testimony builder for young kids!! How lucky he is to have such awesome leaders. We have just a few like that. Maybe we should come to UTah. I wish Brayden could experience fishing in Alaska. There are monster big fish up there.

Latisha said...

What an amazing opportunity. I really wish our scouting program was operating so well here. Talk about building character!

stacy said...

Tracy I just wanted to say thank you for your post on my blog. I do remember you. You have a beautiful family. I can't wait for the fun ahead! I wish we had more time when we were there. It will just make the next reunion even more meaningful. I do indeed struggle these days with that tug-o-war, but I know in my heart of hearts that the Lord is aware of my desires and sacrifices. It is sure nice to know that other mothers have gone through this and that it gets better. I know it will. I am actually considering writing a book about this whole process of redefining myself. It will at least be written in my head (that's what I was referring to about creative writing, someday). Thanks again, seriously.