Tuesday, April 20, 2010

in other news...

1. Brayden's leg is NOT broken. Last week he rammed it into the metal edge of the stage at the church with some serious momentum. We watched it swell and iced it, but Brayden wasn't too bothered. By morning, however, it looked bad and he couldn't put weight on it.


He was pretty irritated.


So I took him to get x-rayed in case it was fractured. The bone looked perfect and we learned it was just a large hematoma from bursting the blood vessels inside the bone. You can imagine Brayden's relief that he wouldn't be out of soccer all season, just 2 weeks. I can't believe how ugly this bruise is. It drained into his foot too, to really make a statement. I guess it's just giving us our money's worth. You don't see a $99 bruise everyday.



2. Rick is working for a new company:


He's been here just 4 weeks. So far, he's happy that the team feels like a great fit. They value his experience and are already implementing some of his input. A great compliment. We feel thankful to be employed with an excellent company and hopeful that reinventing himself in a different industry (one that is weathering the economy better than the financial sector) will be a good move.


3. Today, on a whim, I successfully restored the mudroom to it's former glory. Sigh of relief. Too bad I didn't know I was going to do this or I would have taken a picture to prove what an e.n.o.r.m.o.u.s. black hole it was. Do many of your deep cleaning jobs like this happen on a whim? It's easy to think "Ugh, I soooo need to clean out this mudroom," but much harder for me to say "I think I'll take 4ish hours today and clean out the mudroom...and all the random odds and ends I know it will bring..." so it ends up a somewhat spontaneous accomplishment. Either way, this:


Equals:


4. I am really loving my YW calling, enough that I hope we don't get released anytime soon (our president has been in for 4 years now.) On Sunday we taught our monthly ward conference lesson and the spirit there with those girls made me feel thankful to be involved with them at any level. Occasionally it gets overwhelming schedule wise, but for the most part, it's just the right level of busy--enough to push me, but not enough to do me in. Usually.


Right now I'm preparing for our third stake YW leadership meeting this Thursday and as usual, I feel humbled at the thought of speaking to the women who make up our nine YW presidencies--they are so faithful & talented, I hope I have the right thing to offer. Before General Conference, our presidency attended a general auxiliary YW training session downtown with the general presidency and I must plug Sister Elaine Dalton--she is an inspired woman. She makes me want to change the world. She makes me realize that we ARE changing the world.


5. Connor has been home sick the last couple of days but somehow still manages to look cute (now that the fever has broken):



6. Don't these two look lovable in their matchy pjs? I'm a sucker for the 'snug on the arms & tummies' style. Can't help but hug 'em.



That's it for now, I'm off to change laundry in my freakishly clean mudroom...happy day.


. . . . .


THIS JUST IN: (it's Wed Apr 21 now)
Rick got a job offer. Like 5 minutes ago. Yesterday, actually, when I was typing this post. Huh.


Here's what I know about L3...straight from their website.
L-3 Communications is a prime contractor in Command, Control and Communications, Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (C³ISR), Government Services, Aircraft Modernization and Maintenance (AM&M) and has the broadest base of Electronic Systems in the industry. L-3 is also a major provider of homeland defense products and services for a variety of emerging markets.

I also know that this is the offer we were waiting for when Rick accepted a job with CHG. They interviewed 16 people and hired two (two weeks ago--so we thought this opportunity was off the table.) Rick was the third choice and the only person they considered who didn't have straight HR experience. Now they've opened up a third position.

Pro: The L3 job is internal recruiting and has far more interesting career potential.
Pro: It utilizes his MBA.
Pro: Pay is salaried. That deserves me saying it again. Pay is salaried.
Con: It's a 6 month contract position with no guarantee of being hired on full time and no insurance benefits meanwhile. That said, every contract position has been brought on full time over the last 2 years.
Con: Hard to walk away from the people at CHG who have been nothing but good to him and a company with such a great corporate culture. Not so hard to walk away from the job itself.

Pro, and the one that really counts: We were in the temple last night and each of us received overwhelming answer to prayers. We feel great about L3.

He accepted the job this morning.

9 comments:

merathon said...

1. glad brayden's leg isn't broken!
2. okay, seriously--that is an AMAZING mudroom. i'm trying not to be jealous. did you have that built?
3. that's a lot of job drama. i'm glad you guys feel good about the decision. good luck to rick in his new adventure!

Rachel Sorber said...

Yay! I'm so happy for you guys that you've got a good job! Having options is sure nice, huh? And I love your mudroom. I'd love something that nice and organized to put the kids' stuff away in. Looks like you guys are doing well! :)

Unknown said...

Congrats on the new job! I feel like those challenges are good ones (at least I like them) and ultimately bring us closer together and closer to the Spirit.
Great job with the mudroom! I'd enjoy doing laundry too if it were in a room like that!

Katy said...

Wow... life.
Braydens leg looks TERRIBLE- it made me feel a little queasy.

Your mud room is AMAZING. I LOVE the feeling of working hard on something spontaneously and then having it be a huge relief. It really is the little things.

We need new PJ's in our house in a major way!... but we also need sprinklers and sod, so we are wearing grubby old whatevers for awhile :(

Wow, the job thing sounds amazing and there is absolutely nothing greater than a sure confirmation. What do people do without the gospel. Perplexing, and scary.

Anonymous said...

YEAAAAAAAA! But seriously, our one meal fast last fast Sunday must have tipped the scales in your favor. Ha Ha. We are so HAPPY for you guys. Can't wait to see you next week.

Melanie said...

1. Blech, but sort of awesome. How many people ever get bruises like that? Definitely one for the books.

2. At least you felt good about it for a while. Means to and end?

3. As much as I'd (REALLY) love your mud lockers, I'd much rather have the space that you have to put them in. They're lovely. You still haven't done a gush post about them yet, I think it's a year or two overdue.

4. Good luck with the speaking assignment. I'm sure you'll be inspired, you usually are.

5. What's up with your less than well family? Brayden and now this? I guess that makes up for the awesomely mild winter.

This Just In: I asked Rick about this job a while ago, I'm SO glad it panned out. Only 6 more months for the benefits to kick in. Woohoo!

6. What can I say? I love those boys.

Laurie said...

So excited for you guys...the job situation...crazy. Glad that you guys feel great about it. Sorry to hear about Brayden's leg. Love the mudroom, wish I had one. Let's talk soon.

Karen said...

Wow, that was a big one. All the elements were represented: drama, comedy, some triumph, and only a little horror. Who knows what tomorrow will bring?? :)

Anonymous said...

This is another picture I display life size in my room in one of my large digital picture displays where I am always walking up to him and kissing him!

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEiMLYgK-Z1pQ0N_Kvatf19mm6wzhH7ekoR2RwKN3G-08CfyatoIzOtbNDUoQApsypEKPP9CktdoieyefV__WFCQ7wX0xRpILGfjlDLRSMQs2HR_VIpN83JH1ESdu3gWFOjNwAyrPiZNH867/s0/100_6620.jpg

Sometimes I take the digital display and lay it on the floor. He literally looks like he is laying right there in front of me LOL! One night I started caressing his lips with my toes and then when I spread my toes out over his nose it appeared he was smelling my toes and that really cracked me up. I rubbed my foot and toes over his mouth and lips and his nose and had a good laugh. That expression was like he really enjoyed smelling my feet and toes LOL!