Thursday, July 31, 2008

Gotta Have It


Yesterday I was merrily cleaning my countertops, like I do about 50 times each day, and feeling especially happy about 409 and paper towels. I found myself actually thinking, Man, what would I do without 409 and paper towels? I am totally dependent on them. I use them constantly. Mmm my counters smell so clean. How much of this stuff do I go through? And on and on. This quickly evolved into me wondering what other seemingly insignificant items of my life I am totally dependent on. Three things immediately came to mind, in this order:



The calendar. Seriously I can't live without it. I don't write down the built-ins (you know, piano, soccer practices, dance, scouts, bishopric meetings, etc) because those things happen every week--they'd hog all the space and make it look like I'm just trying to have a full calendar. But everything else? It's on there. (Wow I can't wait for August. July ended up with way too much scribbling.)




Chocolate. Not in an eat-this-whole-bag-in-one-sitting kind of way. I'm talking a touch of chocolate here and there. I've become a simplist, so milk chocolate totally does the trick. It's good for my soul.



Chapstick. Specifically, Natural Ice chapstick. I don't need to apply it 100 times a day, but I HAVE to have it at bedtime. Otherwise it gets ugly. I've never found a good replacement brand until two weeks ago when a friend introduced me to Burt's Beeswax (I think that's what it's called?). It's also good and minty fresh. If the world supply of Natural Ice dries up, I now have a backup. I am SO relieved.

If it were winter yesterday, I would have instantly thought of one more insignificant, yet absolutely necessary item:


Hot chocolate. Wait I need to write that in italics. Hot chocolate. I don't put marshmellows in mine, but you get the idea. This is my seasonal replacement for the milk chocolate. Words can't express the delight and comfort I glean from cozying up with a mug of hot chocolate to sip. Long sigh...

Well, now I'm just happy. I guess it really is about the simple things.

3 comments:

Katy said...

I feel happier too, just looking at your things wondering what mine are. I would leave the marshmallows. I need to put a happy blog up...to replace my mean sarcastic one... you inspired me.

thanks
I use ellipses like crazy (a blogging habit)

Dana said...

Ahhhhhh simple pleasures!!!! I am in total agreement with several on your list. 409, calander I would have put bleach on my list. I love being able to get church shirts and our unmentionables nice and white oh and the dish rags. I wish that I could have a reason for hot chocolate where I am. It is rarely cold here. But when it is, its a very nice change. Have your kids already started school back?

Melanie said...

Reading this makes me feel cozy.

Ahhh...

Oh, and I love your new background.