Monday, September 10, 2007

My New Pets

Well, Rick made it safely back from Texas and since he rarely travels, he got home and passed out souvenirs for the kids. Then he turned to me with something in his hand and said he had something for me too! What a surprise, I thought, hmm, it's small, he knows I haven't been wearing my wedding ring...maybe it's a faker ring 'til the baby comes? He proceeded to open his palm, revealing a tiny box with not a ring, but 5 little brownish things that appeared to be nuts.

"Oh! Thanks! Uh, what are they?" I asked, trying to mask my surprise as he chuckled.

"They're Mexican Jumping Beans!" he announced, "Watch!"

We stared intently at the 5 beans. Nothing happened and I said, "They don't really move--it's a joke, right?"

"Sure they move and you have to read about them so you can care for them!"

"You got me a PET??" I asked, flabbergasted, and even as I said this, one of the beans MOVED! Jumping beans really jump? Apparently they do. Rick started to explain that there are larva inside each bean that make them move and I became more and more disgusted as each bean busted into action. It's not everyday you get larva-filled beans for a gift. Shucks, what's a girl to say? Maybe I can fashion a little ring out of them.

Needless to say, Mexican Jumping Beans really do jump. And they're noisy. I can hear them now clicking away on the counter. They're--weird. And oddly endearing until you remember that they have gross larva inside. What's the protocol on how long you keep irritating yet interesting beans for pets? I've read that Mexican Jumping Beans die instantly if they freeze. Hmm. I've also read that you can cut open the bean to see the live larva who, interestingly enough, will then spin a web to close off the opening. Now that's what I want to do. Nope, if one of those larva even tries to peek out, it's headed straight to the freezer.


No comments: